Here is my second grade class blog http://jacklyn7.edublogs.org/
The students really enjoyed participating and reading each others responses. It was a great way for them to learn about new books in our classroom library. With second graders it does take some time to introduce and explain the process of adding a comment. I was able to use the LCD projector to walk the students step by step. Second graders also need time and some help with typing. I personally think it may be difficult to have Kindergartners or First graders blogging without additional teacher support.
Benefits to Blogging:
motivating to students, especially those who otherwise might not become participants in classrooms
excellent opportunities for students to read and write.
effective forums for collaboration and discussion.
- Get parental permission.
- Know your school and district acceptable use policies (AUPs) and convey them to your students.
- Avoid blogging sites that require students to publish their complete names and/or e-mail accounts.
- Avoid sites that ask students for any personal information.
- Make students aware of what subject matter is appropriate and permissible.
- Teach students the importance of tone and respect for others' opinions.
- Have clear expectations, rules, and consequences.
33 Ways to Use a Blog in Your Classroom
How to Use Blogs in the Classroom
Classroom Blogs and Wikis
Please feel free to add any other additional uses for blogging in education.