Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Storybird

I found this neat online writing tool called Storybird. Storybird is a service that uses collaborative storytelling to connect kids and families. Two (or more) people create a Storybird in a round robin fashion by writing their own text and inserting pictures. They then have the option of sharing their Storybird privately or publicly on the network. The final product can be printed (soon), watched on screen, played with like a toy, or shared through a worldwide library. Watch a quick tour of how it works.

Since my students do not have email addresses to create accounts, I would create one teacher account and let my students create their Storybirds through it. I like the round robin idea where students can work together and take turns editing a story.

6 comments:

  1. This is a really fun site. I'm sure the kids would have such a great time creating stories this way. I like that they could actually have the book printed or at least in the very near future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at this site a few weeks ago and loved it. When I tried to create one it took a very long time to load the story image I chose. I don't know if it was just a fluke but I would play around with it a little more before using it with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if it would allow students to type in another language? Some of my lower level Spanish students are the equivalent of elementary school age students as far as their knowledge of the grammar, so this would be a great tool to put their grammar and vocabulary into practice. Students from other classes can even work together. The telecollaboration ideas are unending with this program!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a really neat site! Just like you, my students don't have email addresses (I hope), so using a class email would work out well. I could see small groups working together to create a fun story to share with the class. It could even be used to make "copy cat" books of their favorite stories. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really neat. I have my students create a story using the romance archetype as described by Northrop Frye. This application would allow an easy way to take the story, illustrate it, and share it with the class. I also like the collaborative nature of the storyboard, which would allow each member of the group to add to the story. Very cool! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea! I imagine that many students would like to write stories together. I actually just did a similar activity with my students in class today, but it involved me typing on Word and projecting onto the board. Do you think this is something that you would attempt to use in your classroom, or is it not worth the trouble?

    ReplyDelete